Sat, Oct 28|
Arte Da Guerra Jiu Jitsu School
Empower + Defend: Women's Self Protection Seminar
Learn about the criminal mindset, the victim selection process, and how NOT to be selected as a victim. But what if you do everything right and things still go wrong? You'll need tools/skills to protect yourself The more tools/skills you have, the more likely you are to prevail.
Time & Location
Oct 28, 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM CDT
Arte Da Guerra Jiu Jitsu School, 13702 Old Nashville Hwy, Smyrna, TN 37167, USA
About the event
The most important component to self-protection is first and foremost knowing how NOT to be selected as the victim of a (violent) crime. The bulk of the day will be spent learning about the criminal mindset, the victim selection process, and how NOT to be selected as a victim as your most important first line of defense. But what if you do everything right and things still go wrong? Are you equipped to protect and defend yourself? This first ever class combines She Shoots most popular stand alone courses: Refuse To Be A Victim -and- Using Pepper Spray with a never before offered segment led by Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt and coach, Efraim Zeferino on the essential Jiu Jitsu anyone can learn and use in the event of a physical attack.
PRE-REQUISITE: Ladies Only, age 15+
WHAT TO BRING
- Note taking materials
- Snacks, water, lunch (there will be a brief lunch break but not time to leave for food, plan accordingly)
- Please wear comfortable clothing that you can move in. This is not a phsycially intense class, but there will be movement.
COURSE OUTLINE AND OBJECTIVES
9:00am-12:30pm: EMPOWER: Refuse To Be A Victim
We never think a crime will happen to us, until it actually does. While sometimes unfortunate things do happen unexpectedly, it is important to be equipped with the knowledge and skills needed for personal safety and crime prevention. Having a personal safety strategy in place and knowing the techniques and tactics you can use to avoid becoming a potential victim can help you live smarter and be safer.
“Crimes of Opportunity” are crimes committed without planning or forethought. When criminals realize they have a chance to commit a crime, they seize the opportunity. Don’t be an easy target. We can all pinpoint times where we’ve made ourselves an easy target – whether it was keeping our heads buried in our phones, parking in a dimly lit area at night, or leaving our houses or cars unlocked. But there are many more, less obvious situations that make us vulnerable as well. This segment will cover:
- Psychology of Criminal Predators: Understand what makes a criminal a predator.
- Mental Preparedness: Prepare yourself for any situation that may arise.
- Physical Security: Don't ignore your instincts. If something feels wrong, it probably is!
- Automobile Security: Equip yourself with the necessities for any type of situation.
1:00pm - 3:30pm: DEFEND: Using Pepper Spray (OC)
Layers are the key to the best personal safety plans and OC (pepper) Spray is a must have component. In the words of Chuck Haggard: “You need something between a strong word and a gun” and OC/Pepper Spray does just that! Contrary to popular belief, pepper spray is neither a generic product, nor is it an "off the shelf" solution. Know how to use your tools before you're in a "need to use" situation. Course objectives include:
- Personal Protection Devices: Tools that you can use for personal protection.
- Knowing the different types of active ingredients in sprays
- Understanding the reactions elicited from different active ingredients
- Common myths, misinformation, misunderstandings around sprays
- Real life practice with inert units
*There NOT be live exposure to pepper spray in this class. We will practice with water units- no worse than being sprayed with a tiny squirt gun of water as the ingredient is only water.
Each participant will receive:
- Inert practice unit for pepper spray portion (water only)
- POM keychain pepper spray to take home
3:30pm - 5:30pm: DEFEND: Survive the Fight- Jiu Jitsu for Survival
Our goal is to always avoid a physical fight but the reality is, you may need to prevail in a physical attack. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu has been proven time and time again to be successful against attackers. Jiu Jitsu itself takes years to master but we don't have that kind of time in a one day class. In this block, you will learn fundamental skills derived from the practice of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu that may save your life when it counts.
5:30pm - 6:00pm: EMPOWER: Q & A and Wrap up
3 hours 30 minutes
EMPOWER: Refuse To Be A VictimKristin Benton
Empower + Defend
+$3.13 service fee
+$3.13 service fee0